Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Extra Time


Ok for the last year I've had my life pretty well mapped out for me. Work, School, Study, Rinse and repeat.

My work schedule changed like crazy due to people covering my class time. I never really knew when I was expected to work unless I looked at the schedule the day before. Now that things are back to quasi normal I hardly know what to do. I woke up this morning before my kids did, that was kind of cool. I walked downstairs WITHOUT a textbook and had some coffee WITHOUT looking over notes or drug flashcards, I stumbled out to the back porch to survey the damage of the last storm WITHOUT stressing over an upcoming test.

It only took me about 45 minutes to realize that I needed to fill some time now or I was going to go stark raving bat shit crazy. You just get so used to a mid to high stress level that when it's gone you ALMOST miss it. Note the use of the word almost.

I have to teach at a Basic EMT class tomorrow. I'm pretty excited about that and Wednesday I go back to work but today... Hmmmm.

I think I'll run a new electrical line for my family room AC today so I can watch TV and stay cool at the same time without blowing a breaker.

I think I'll investigate my eve spouts and find out why I'm getting water in my basement.

I think I'll work on the go-cart and get it running.

I think I'll clean up the fire ring and get it ready for a few BBQ's

I think I'll replace the window in the mud room that the storm took out.

I think I'll service the boys' motorcycles and have them ready to ride when they get home.

or.

Maybe I'll just sit and and try to talk myself out of grinning like an idiot. It's really over and I actually pulled it off. At 35 years old I went back to school and became a paramedic.

Still amazes me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the grin. You have earned it! I cannot wait to be in your shoes - I am 42 and 4/5th finished my first week in paramedic school! :) I'm loving it...

Zer0 said...

Just starting out! Thats great, hang in there, you'll make it!

Anonymous said...

hi,

i came across your blog while i was searching for a paramedics course. U did a great job, it was a brave thing to do to go back to school. I did the same as u too except i came across the world fr malaysia to united states to study.
I b following your blog. Write more abt your course and how u felt about working as paramedics.

Lin said...

Congratulations! Enjoy the boys, first then fly, young man, Fly!!!