Thursday, December 06, 2007

The EMS Oath


Getting ready for Christmas, buying more stuff than my boys could possibly use in all of 2008 just because I'm an over-compensating daddy. There is so much of their lives I miss in the course of performing my job. I sacrifice because I never want them to have to sacrifice. I miss out because I want them to grow up being proud of their daddy and what he does.


I want to remind all of you of an Oath I took. Now, not every EMT takes this Oath, but the ones that are serious about the job will, and they will live by it.


EMT Oath


Be it pledged as an Emergency Medical Technician, I will honor the physical and judicial laws of God and man. I will follow that regimen which, according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of patients and abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, nor shall I suggest any such counsel.


Into whatever homes I enter, I will go into them for the benefit of only the sick and injured, never revealing what I see or hear in the lives of men unless required by law.


I shall also share my medical knowledge with those who may benefit from what I have learned. I will serve unselfishly and continuously in order to help make a better world for all mankind.


While I continue to keep this oath unviolated, may it be granted to me to enjoy life, and the practice of the art, respected by all men, in all times. Should I trespass or violate this oath, may the reverse be my lot.


So help me God.


Let me tell you, there is nothing glorious about telling a mother her 6 week old baby is dead. There is no glory in having a drunk throw up on you or a crack head trying to stab you for your narc bag. You do this job because you love it, you live it. Save the glory for someone who needs it. Hug an EMT today! That we can appreciate!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There is no glory in this job, that is true. But the feeling you get when you make that save, well.... there is nothing like it in the world. That, in and of itself, makes all the other BS we put up with, worth it.

Good Wife said...

Does a cyber hug count? :)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Cyber Hugs are always welcome, thanks!